1. How long have you been spinning?
I got my wheel in October 07, so less than a year on the wheel. I had a drop spindle for a year before that, but I think I only created like 2 skeins of yarn on it.
What skill level do you consider yourself?
Somewhere between beginner & intermediate. I don't get NEARLY as much spinning time as I would like!!
2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
Mostly 2-ply. Every so often I try to navajo ply with limited success!! Hubby says he'll rig something up so I can try a 3-ply since I don't have a lazy kate.
3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
Mostly wheel- Ashford Joy. I very rarely (ok, never) use the spindle any more.
4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don't like?
I've liked everything so far! I haven't really had a huge amount of exposure to that many different fibers though. I've spun Alpaca (though I think it was a blend), Merino, Corriedale, BFL, Merino Soysilk blend, some random wool/mohair blend, and I'm currently spinning a Superwash Merino Tencel blend. I have no desire to spin cotton right now though, I hear it's really hard to get the hang of & I don't think up I'm to the challenge yet!
5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
I usually buy from random vendors at fiber festivals, but I've also purchased from Spunky Eclectic and Insubordiknit.
6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
Bamboo, Camel, Silk, Ramboulet, anything!!!
7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?
Yes!!!! All of them!!!!
8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
Yup! Can't say I do a particulary good job of it, but I try!
9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I have hand cards, and like 20 pounds of nasty dirty wool to clean. I've never cleaned a fleece OR used the hand cards, so hopefully soon I'll get to learn some new skillz and get that fiber cleaned & prepped. I'll probably wind up bringing it to a friend's house to use her drum carder though once I get it washed. But, the answer is that I would prefer ready to spin fiber.
10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
I usually gift it! I don't get very far beyond swatching with my handspun before I give it away. I plan on changing that though! I love knitting with handspun, just haven't used MINE yet!
11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
I don't have any gadgets. The threading hook I use came with the wheel, but I covet the fancy beaded ones! A WPI gauge would certainly come in handy!
12. What colors "fall into your shopping basket"? Any colors you just can't stand?
Purple is by far my favorite color. I also love fall colors. I'm not one for super bright colors or even primary colors so much. I think I like darker colors and I definitely like natural colored fiber- like grey or brown alpaca and stuff like that.
13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
I attempt to tie dye and make beaded jewlery. Hubby & I are also trying to teach ourselves how to sail- we got a 35 foot sailboat that we're (read: he's) slowly fixing up.
15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
My family, Vacations in NH, listening to music...
16. Do you have an online wishlist?
Yup! Amazon.com: here
17. Is there anything that you collect?
Other than yarn & fiber? Turtles
18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any spinning or spin to knit books, but would like some. I subscribe to IK and Spin Off.
19. When is your birthday?
20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
Hmmmm.... I duuno!!!!
21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?
22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
I can touch my nose with my tounge. I'm a big hit at parties! LOL!
Also, I pierced my belly button myself when I was 16 (after my then-boyfriend- now hubby pierced it all crooked!)
This is my very favorite:
But I also like this one:
Candy: Anything involving chocolate!!
Food: Eggplant (I'm a vegitarian), goat cheese, all sorts of stuff.
Drink: Rum & diet coke :-) But MAN the hangovers I get!! Non-alcohol drink- I like raspberry seltzer
Movie(s): 200 Cigerettes, Ocean's 11, Old School, the Bourne trilogy.... I could go on & on....
TV Show(s): Lost!!!! Also: Survivor, Project Runway, Amazing Race, Criminal Minds... I'm a bit of a TV junkie!!
Book(s): I don't read nearly enough, but Harry Potter, anything by Marian Keyes, Wicked...
Guilty Pleasure(s): Knitting & Spinning of course! Also sailing.